Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think that BJ should take him to the mat. Same as he should took Edgar.

Standup will be hard to predict. Penn is wounderable to leg kick. We know what that means :confused05:

I think this fight will be very hard to win for Penn in stand up. He should use his superior(maybe-Aldo credentials are good) ground game.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think Aldo could win but I don't know about destroying. I haven't seen Aldo fight a lot of top guys or guys like BJ so I wouldn't make that bold a prediction.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I don't think he would destroy BJ, but he definitely has a chance at beating him. BJ hasn't used his BJJ so much recently and I don't think he would have tried to submit Kenny if Kenny hadn't practically served him the choke on a silver platter, so my guess is BJ would stand with Aldo. Honestly, that could go either way. Against Edgar BJ had no answer for Edgar's speed and he seemed susceptible to leg kicks. Aldo is fast and his leg kicks are vicious. On the other hand BJ is the best LW ever, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if BJ dominated Aldo the way he domintaed Diego.

·
Registered
377 Posts
BJ will send him right back to featherwright and out of the p4p discussion .

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
You need to go watch the video's of Faber training with BJ and being absolutly man handled. The gap between the WEC FW's and UFC LW's is pretty big. BJ is on a much higher level right now. Aldo is young though and in time he will be as good or better but he isn't there yet.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
I see it the opposite, Bj destroying aldo, who has aldo faced that compares to penn, really?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Tough to say. Which BJ shows up that night? If the same BJ that showed up to the Edgar fight fought Aldo, he'd probably lose. Penn seemed to have a hard time with a guy who was darting in and out, and Jose would undoubtedly try to tag him and zip away.

If BJ fights smart, like he should have against Edgar, and uses his size advantage, I don't think there's many guys in the world who can compete with him at 155.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Depends which BJ comes in to fight. Sanchez BJ looked unstoppable, Edgar's BJ looked very mortal. I haven't seen enough of Aldo to make accurate predictions for him, but he can clearly deal some nasty damage. I would like to see him fight some other people at LW before making any kind of judgements.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Do I think he'd beat him? No.

Do I think he has a shot at beating him? Yes.

I think it'd be fantastic either way TBH.

And honestly, I've had enough of the "He hasn't fought anyone" crap. He just made 2 champions, including the most dominant one of all time and the guy who beat him twice, look like ******* children in the ring. Not to mention KOing Swanson in 8 seconds. They weren't even a CHALLENGE for him.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Considering BJ has never been "destroyed" in his division, you'd logistically have to say no, but I'm not as confident as most Penn fans that BJ would win for sure either.

I actually do see Aldo's low kicks giving BJ problems, unless the reach of BJ's jab is greater then Aldo's reach with his low kicks.

My money is on BJ's ground game over Aldo, but BJ doesn't really display much offensive TD's and Aldo has shown he has pretty good TDD. BJ seems to utilize his BJJ if the fight so happens to get to the ground, but he's not really known these days to go out, take someone down and work the BJJ game. I don't think the fight would go to the ground unless Aldo took it there, which I haven't seen anything that suggests Aldo's TD is strong enough to take down BJ's oddly efficient TDD.

In theory, I think it'd make for a good fight. I would favor BJ, but not by a land slide by any means.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Aldo seems to be a phenom for sure, but I'll reserve too much speculation (especially about destroying BJ!) until I see how he fares against fighters like Guida and Stevenson.

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
Aldo is not on the level that Penn is on. He is really good in the WEC FW divison, but that divison is on a lower level than the UFC LHW divison.

Aldo in some years might be able to beat him, he's still young and has many years to train and gather skills, but as of right now, BJ would definitely beat him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As other have said, the WEC Featherweights and UFC Lightweights are on different levels. Manny Gamburyan and Leonard Garcie were UFC Lightweight wash outs yet they're title contenders in the WEC Featherweight division.

Aldo would probably do well at Lightweight given his skill level but anyone who thinks he would "destroy" BJ Penn without seeing him against at least a midlevel Lightweight is crazy.

·
Registered
797 Posts
As other have said, the WEC Featherweights and UFC Lightweights are on different levels. Manny Gamburyan and Leonard Garcie were UFC Lightweight wash outs yet they're title contenders in the WEC Featherweight division.

Aldo would probably do well at Lightweight given his skill level but anyone who thinks he would "destroy" BJ Penn without seeing him against at least a midlevel Lightweight is crazy.

Hey leave Manny alone, he only got KO'd by St. Legkicker.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.