Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Would you like a super heavy weights division?

• Yes

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • Yes but once there is enough super heavy's -- later down the line

Votes: 29 33.0%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As title state's. Would you????
With these massive muscle bound freaks of nature starting to pop up it leaves littler guys like jds- Cain- in tuff situations

maybe the cutoff should be 245lbs and 245 to 280 be super heavy's

but as of now there isn't enough super heavy's or heavy weightsright now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yea,, but not right now..i mean how many superheavy weights does the ufc have? are you super heavy if you weigh in 265? then its Mir, carwin, brock, nelson and thats it right?...Stefan struve should be headed that way 2 if he fills out...

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
if both JDS and Cain cannot beat Carwin or Lesnar i would consider it i guess. they are the best two smaller HWs and if they cant do it, likely nobody can (fedor might be able to but we will never know).

until then i see no reason to need a new division.

Frank Mir cant handle the big guys whether he is big or not. its his skill that made him lose, not his size.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Yes when there's enough big fighters. Having a window of 60 pounds goes against the idea of weight classes. Why when a guy gets to about 230 does he have to fight people who could be 280 on the night? It's like BJ Penn vs Rampage in some cases.

But if it was to happen and the division was split at 245 as someone suggested, then you'd still get fighters who are around 260 cutting to fight fighters who walk around at 230. I think it should be lower to force the very big heavyweights to stay in the highest division. 230 seems like a good number, probably because it's right in the middle.

I'm not sure how many heavyweights wouldn't be able to make 230 but Cain, JDS, Kongo, Cro Cop etc definitely could.

if both JDS and Cain cannot beat Carwin or Lesnar i would consider it i guess. they are the best two smaller HWs and if they cant do it, likely nobody can (fedor might be able to but we will never know).

until then i see no reason to need a new division.

Frank Mir cant handle the big guys whether he is big or not. its his skill that made him lose, not his size.
Either JDS or Cain beating Carwin or Brock doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a need for another division, it just means the one to do it is an elite fighter. It's like Fitch and GSP fighting at middleweight and (perhaps) being successful there, becomming contenders. We still have the divisions, there's just some fighters in every division that would be contenders in the division above. Except light heavy to heavy because the gap is so huge.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
There will never be enough fighters that big to have a competitive division. Whats the difference between Brock and a big fighter like Alves or Anthony Johnson?? They all have to weight in 1 night before the fight...

There is no way Brock will have a 60 pound advantage on fight night, That is the art of weight cutting, its in every division and not just the HW.

Brock cuts maybe 25 pounds, thats not that big of a difference from top fighters in any other division like I said above... This talk needs to stop about having a super HW division...The same guys that you say are small can easily make LHW if they wanted. Cain is about the same size as Rampage and Rampage has more muscle on him. Cain isnt exactly big in the muscle department either.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
no i am the one who wants to see no weight limit

then we can talk about real p4p.
you obv dont even know what p4p is... clueless.

also SHWs suck. they likely CANT BEAT HWs. Just like boxing. SHWs are way too slow, gas way too quick and dont really give u the best fights.

we dont need the division cuz it will be small and horrible.

·
CoutureCop
6,091 Posts
I'm really waffling back and forth on this. I am down to see a larger division, assuming of course that there were enough fighters in it to round out a division. However, I really loath out of shape fighters that can't last more than one round, and that is what I see happening with a lot of fighters in a SHW division. Think of Roy Nelson without Cardio.

Honestly, I don't really care what a fighters physique looks like, however I don't want him gassing after going for 1-2 takedowns. That is pure crap. If you get guys that are shredded roid machines, they are not going to have the cardio to hang in there because they have to feed all that muscle.

So I guess my answer is yes, but with enough fighters and assuming they can get some kind of cardio. :D

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
quickly, name 3 of the greatest SHW boxers of all time.....

thought so.

bad idea.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
There is just not enough fighters to split the division. And the big guys you are talking about could make 245. For example brock is not cutting as much as he could, a guy that big with that much liquid in him could cut an immense amount of weight. Lets say he just cuts a little weight training gets down to 265-270, he could easily cut the 20-25lbs and make the "new" heavyweight division. Basically all this would accomplish would be to limit the size at which heavy weights could be.

I think it would be pointless unless we make a new heavyweight division at around 225. And SHW 226-265

quickly, name 3 of the greatest SHW boxers of all time.....

thought so.

bad idea.
Lennox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko and Roberto Balado.

Roberto might be the only true "super heavyweight" but both lennox lewis and klitschko competed in the olympics at SHW.

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
Whats the difference between Brock and a big fighter like Alves or Anthony Johnson?? They all have to weight in 1 night before the fight...
The difference is the majority of HW fighters are nowhere near the weight limit while there is 1 fighter, sometimes two, in the entire HW division that is consistantly coming heavier than 265. In LHW nearly every single fighter cuts to make weight. The weight difference between fighters in HW is by far the greatest.

There is no way Brock will have a 60 pound advantage on fight night, That is the art of weight cutting, its in every division and not just the HW.
Except only Brock cuts weight. Carwin did this time, but it was the first time he came in at 265. Mir has beefed up, too, but that is still only three guys in an entire division. On top of that it isn't like Carwin or Mir are cutting weight to get to 265. They are trying to bulk up tog et that heavy. In LHW it is the exact opposite. The only other HW that consistantly has come in near 265 is Big Country. He doesn't cut weight. Trust me.

Brock cuts maybe 25 pounds, thats not that big of a difference from top fighters in any other division like I said above...
Except no one else in the division cuts down to 265 like Brock does. At least they have no done so consistantly, yet.

This talk needs to stop about having a super HW division...The same guys that you say are small can easily make LHW if they wanted.
What about guy right in the middle like Big Nog or JDS? These guys are legit 240 pounders and would not be able to easily lose 35 pounds. They are already lean.

Cain is about the same size as Rampage and Rampage has more muscle on him. Cain isnt exactly big in the muscle department either.
omg what? lol :confused05:

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
^^
just meant that some fighters like Cain can make LHW if they truly wanted. He is around 240 but isnt packed full of muscle, so it would be a lot easier for him.

·
8,258 Posts
^^
just meant that some fighters like Cain can make LHW if they truly wanted. He is around 240 but isnt packed full of muscle, so it would be a lot easier for him.

I think he could make it, but I think he would have to sacrafice some muscle.

What about the rest of my post? You seem to have skipped every point I made. Is it because your post makes no sense? lol

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
There will never be enough fighters that big to have a competitive division. Whats the difference between Brock and a big fighter like Alves or Anthony Johnson?? They all have to weight in 1 night before the fight...

Brock cuts maybe 25 pounds, thats not that big of a difference from top fighters in any other division like I said above... This talk needs to stop about having a super HW division...The same guys that you say are small can easily make LHW if they wanted. Cain is about the same size as Rampage and Rampage has more muscle on him. Cain isnt exactly big in the muscle department either.
The difference between Brock and the likes of Alves and Rumble is he's cutting to the limit of 265 and other people in his division are sometimes 30 pounds lighter than the limit. There's such a massive difference, what don't you understand about that?

Cain same size as Rampage? LOL

Some people on here really do talk some shit, too much finger tapping and no brain engagement.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Cains legs are tree trunks, an upper body pic does him no justice.

he is also very thick.

i will admit that he did look a bit small beside Bader in pics ive seen but Bader is a massive LHW, its a wonder he makes the cut. By Bader doesnt have those kind of legs either.

i think if he really wanted to, Cain could make 205. I thihink he would be uncomfortable tho.

he has wrestled with 280 pound guys for along time before MMA, not a big deal it happens in NCAA all the time and smller guys win alot too.

the division is fine. Carwin and Lesnar win a match vs Frank Mir and suddenly we desperately need a new division??

nah, frank mir suddenly needs some TDD and better striking.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts

I think he could make it, but I think he would have to sacrafice some muscle.

What about the rest of my post? You seem to have skipped every point I made. Is it because your post makes no sense? lol

Just look at the majority of the HWs physic, hardly anyone does any big form of weight training to get there upper body in the best shape. Look what Frank Mir looked like with only 3-5 months of dedicated weight training... He looked completely different.

You cant just change the sport because 1 person comes in and has done this his whole life, while others only cared about the skill/technical portion of fighting. The other fighters need to adjust instead,something which only Mir is trying to do.They need to dedicate time in their training to get bigger.

·
8,258 Posts
Just look at the majority of the HWs physic, hardly anyone does any big form of weight training to get there upper body in the best shape. Look what Frank Mir looked like with only 3-5 months of dedicated weight training... He looked completely different.

You cant just change the sport because 1 person comes in and has done this his whole life, while others only cared about the skill/technical portion of fighting. The other fighters need to adjust instead,something which only Mir is trying to do.They need to dedicate time in their training to get bigger.
Then what is the point of having a division that exists from 206-265 pounds if everyone has to "adjust" to be 250-265 to be competitive? We all know know there are some fighters that would much prefer to be in a 225 pound weight class, it is just a matter of there being enough talent to fill out 2 divisions (which there isn't).

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Maybe in like 3-5 years it will be needed but not right now.
agree. Really you need around 11 or 12 guys to make the division. If the UFC signed every bookable SHW we'd have

Lesnar
Carwin
Mir
Brett Rogers
Roy Nelson
Mariusz Pudzianowski
Igor Vochanchyn

that's 7 guys at or above 265 that are anywhere near half decent that I can think of, the Reem is about 260 so he could go either way, anyone I missed? (Barnett, Gonzaga, Lashley are not 265).

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Cains legs are tree trunks, an upper body pic does him no justice.

he is also very thick.

i will admit that he did look a bit small beside Bader in pics ive seen but Bader is a massive LHW, its a wonder he makes the cut. By Bader doesnt have those kind of legs either.

i think if he really wanted to, Cain could make 205. I thihink he would be uncomfortable tho.

he has wrestled with 280 pound guys for along time before MMA, not a big deal it happens in NCAA all the time and smller guys win alot too.

the division is fine. Carwin and Lesnar win a match vs Frank Mir and suddenly we desperately need a new division??

nah, frank mir suddenly needs some TDD and better striking.
I think the problem is only elite fighters at around 230 can actually compete with the likes of Lesnar and Carwin. Forget Mir, he's huge as it is. Cain can compete with anyone but so could GSP at middleweight and so can Penn at welter. Does that mean there should be a 60 pound window as soon as we get past 205? I don't think so, I think it makes little sense.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts