Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it'd be much better to widen the horizon of great fighters by challenging japanese promotions and get some real global tournament fights going. mma needs their own superbowl event. imagine anderson silva vs some unknown unstoppable beast from the jungles of thailand.

i know ufc wants them to be the only rich company but there might be more money in compromising with other companies and working together for a greater profit, financially and developmentally.

·
attention whore
14,445 Posts
One thing I loved about pride was that they would find these obscure dudes from all over the world.

Like, you'd have Nogueira battle a Bulgarian fencer. It was incredible.

·
Earthquake Survivor
1,936 Posts
i know ufc wants them to be the only rich company but there might be more money in compromising with other companies and working together for a greater profit, financially and developmentally.
Not at all, UFC is the number one promotion, the top fighters eventually are going to need the UFC to prove their top dog status, Dana doesn't need to ask the other promotions for fighters, he can just wait till they want to come in.

The only company the UFC needs to co-promote with is the WEC.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not at all, UFC is the number one promotion, the top fighters eventually are going to need the UFC to prove their top dog status, Dana doesn't need to ask the other promotions for fighters, he can just wait till they want to come in.

They already own WEC, so that makes no sense IMO.

I think they could do "PRESTIGE FIGHTS", without having titles on the line, like FEDOR vs BROCK etc, without having to have ownership of fighters/more than one fight contracts so that they can keep the status of holding the top mma fights, also put fighters on the games etc and use the fighters to their advantage promotions etc to maintain dominance in MMA.

Or hold a yearly event e.g Strikeforce vs UFC, or UFC vs the World etc where all top fighters compete for prestige rather than belts.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I dont really think it makes sense for the UFC to do business with any other promotions. I would love to see Fedor and Overeem fight the UFC's heavyweights, but it would be very stupid on the UFC's part to do business with these other orgaizations that clearly have no idea what they are doing. There is a reason that so many organizations have come and gone, they are throwing stupid money around and getting in over there heads. The UFC can just let these companies to continue to shoot themselves in the foot and pick off whatever talent they want (Fedor excluded lol). Would copromotion be nice for us fans? Hell yeah. Would it do the UFC any good? Not in the slightest, its would most likely hurt them and only actually benefit the other orgaization involved in copromotion. Sucks, but it is what it is.

·
Earthquake Survivor
1,936 Posts
They already own WEC, so that makes no sense IMO.
Yeah because every casual UFC fan knows about the WEC and tunes to watch it.

It might be detrimental losing some big ratings fighters on the WEC cards, but it could pay-off long term to have a guy like Aldo defending his title in a UFC Co-Main event in a card with Lesnar.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
I think it'd be much better to widen the horizon of great fighters by challenging japanese promotions and get some real global tournament fights going. mma needs their own superbowl event. imagine anderson silva vs some unknown unstoppable beast from the jungles of thailand.

The problem with the rhetorical question in the title thread is, obviously, the bolded portion of the premise.

There is no reason for the UFC to believe that cross promoting with M-1 or Strikeforce or Dream would substantially improve their ratings, their relationships with advertisers or their monopoly over the mainstream understanding of MMA.

However, it does seriously threaten the UFC's dominance both in terms of image and in terms of market share if they start allowing their events, which are the largest draw in the world of MMA, to be a joint production.

Firstly, it lends credibility to the competitors, which is something that the UFC brass have been dealing with for a long time now.

Secondly, it gives fighters signed exclusively to those promotions the opportunity to make a name for themselves (and the promotions they represent) as better than the UFC, in the event that they beat major UFC fighters. This is one of the reasons why, without an exclusive contract, no one gets to fight in the UFC.

Thirdly, the potential growth for the UFC isn't with respect to the people who are watching Strikeforce or M-1 or Bellator. The UFC knows that its growth is coming from the range of casual fans previously unfamiliar with the sport. The people watching Strikeforce, M-1 and Bellator already know about the UFC. It's not true that the people watching the UFC know about the smaller shows, and the UFC would like to keep those fans attention on them to (a) improve their image as the dominant promotion and (b) keep the fighters in other organization off the radar, so that the UFC's guys are perceived as, by default, the best in the world.

Would I like to see cross-promotion between the UFC and M-1 and Strikeforce and Dream and even K-1? Absolutely.

And I'd also like world peace.

And my own island.

The UFC has no motivation to cross promote. Its portion of the market share and its current rate of growth are substantial enough that the competitive organizations offer no substantial benefit and plenty of potential loss.

I think co-promotion is the wrong idea, in the case of the WEC. The fact that the two are separate promotions at all is unnecessary, and bringing the two together allows the UFC to bring that many more top ten fighters (10-to-15, depending on how you count), that many more titles (two) and that many more substantial events per year, increasing hype and revenue.

I've advocated for folding the WEC into the UFC for a long time, though, and it hasn't happened yet. But my fingers are still crossed on that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.