Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wrestling is a great base to draw from but by itself isn't the end all/be all. A person also needs to know how to defend subs and be able to strike both on the ground and standing. This is where the Jits and Muay Thai come into play.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Except that he's never going to get into a college wrestling program without wrestling in high school.
When I said if you can get in a college program "later on" I meant wrestle through HS and work to get in a college program. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough.

I have done BJJ and Judo. I think if I walked onto a college wrestling team I could try out and do pretty well (although it would be pretty tempting to armbar someone).

·
Registered
607 Posts
When I said if you can get in a college program "later on" I meant wrestle through HS and work to get in a college program. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough.

I have done BJJ and Judo. I think if I walked onto a college wrestling team I could try out and do pretty well (although it would be pretty tempting to armbar someone).
You seriously think with a background in BJJ and Judo you could do well on a collegiate wrestling team? I honestly dont mean to be a dick, but thats absurd. BJJ you learn a lot of fighting from your back, in wrestling you lose from that position. I dont know much about judo, but wrestling is a very technical sport, judo may help, but a confident wrestler would wipe the floor with you at that level unless you also happen to be a confident wrestler, which it seems you are not. Not trying to be mean here, but thats the truth. A few skills may cross over, like a solid base and all that, but most of it wouldnt. The same thing applies to if a wrestler were to try high level judo without having a judo base, he would lose.

Reactions: G_Land

·
Registered
358 Posts
You seriously think with a background in BJJ and Judo you could do well on a collegiate wrestling team? I honestly dont mean to be a dick, but thats absurd. BJJ you learn a lot of fighting from your back, in wrestling you lose from that position. I dont know much about judo, but wrestling is a very technical sport, judo may help, but a confident wrestler would wipe the floor with you at that level unless you also happen to be a confident wrestler, which it seems you are not. Not trying to be mean here, but thats the truth. A few skills may cross over, like a solid base and all that, but most of it wouldnt. The same thing applies to if a wrestler were to try high level judo without having a judo base, he would lose.

Actually I was being serious. Some people forget that doing BJJ both guys can't be on their backs...someone has to be on top. I actually have a pretty good top game and have rolled with many collegiate wrestlers and was able to get and hold top position on them. So why would it be so absurd that someone that can move and has a very good BJJ top game could walk on to a college team and actually make it? Sure the rules are different, but someone who actually knows how to move and hold position has a much better chance than the average Joe.

And just so you know I actually have very good confidence in my wrestling because I have worked/trained with many wrestlers that competed on very high levels. I train in BJJ as well as Judo and wrestling, so your comment about me not being confident in my wrestling was absurd...you didn't even ask if I had ever wrestled before.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Actually I was being serious. Some people forget that doing BJJ both guys can't be on their backs...someone has to be on top. I actually have a pretty good top game and have rolled with many collegiate wrestlers and was able to get and hold top position on them. So why would it be so absurd that someone that can move and has a very good BJJ top game could walk on to a college team and actually make it? Sure the rules are different, but someone who actually knows how to move and hold position has a much better chance than the average Joe.

And just so you know I actually have very good confidence in my wrestling because I have worked/trained with many wrestlers that competed on very high levels. I train in BJJ as well as Judo and wrestling, so your comment about me not being confident in my wrestling was absurd...you didn't even ask if I had ever wrestled before.
I didnt ask because in a thread about wrestling you made no mention of it... Getting top control and actually winning are two completely different things. I'm sorry, but if you dont wrestle and arent an incredibly high level BJJ practitioner I dont believe you had top control on a high level wrestler. Thats like me saying I got an armbar on a high level BJJ guy, would not happen. Besides that fact, as I said earlier, getting top control and getting the pin/winning are two entirely different things. To walk on a to college wrestling team with no COMPETITIVE wrestling experience is a ridiculous idea and would NOT happen. If you care to prove me wrong, walk on to a team. I was a pretty successful high school wrestler, and even without injuring myself I probably would have had trouble walking on to a shitty dIII school.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I personally didn't feel I had to list my resume as far as what I have trained in being that the thread was not about me, but rather someone else.

Let me ask you this though. You say that you wrestled in HS, but what other training do you have? Have you actively participated in BJJ or Judo? How many collegiate wrestlers have you rolled with?

I might be reading your intent wrong, but from the way you speak I'm gathering that with your method of thinking a pretty good HS wrestler could walk into a BJJ class and there is no way anyone below a brown belt could get them down and pin them?? Maybe it's just me, but that's what I'm getting from it...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I personally didn't feel I had to list my resume as far as what I have trained in being that the thread was not about me, but rather someone else.

Let me ask you this though. You say that you wrestled in HS, but what other training do you have? Have you actively participated in BJJ or Judo? How many collegiate wrestlers have you rolled with?

I might be reading your intent wrong, but from the way you speak I'm gathering that with your method of thinking a pretty good HS wrestler could walk into a BJJ class and there is no way anyone below a brown belt could get them down and pin them?? Maybe it's just me, but that's what I'm getting from it...
You listed BJJ and judo though, why not wrestling?

I have done a very limited amount of judo, maybe like 3-4 hours my entire life, thats why I said I dont know much about it. I'm not sure about BJJ, I've done a good bit, I would call myself confident in it-compared to someone with no exposure, but no where near the level of someone who does it regularly.

I went to high school about 5 miles away from the University of Virginia and I have practiced with them, or they have come to my teams practices since about 6th grade. They won the ACC this past season- no where no Iowa or anything, but a good, solid dI program.

You are getting my intent way way off, I'm saying basically the opposite, a solid wrestler vs. a brown belt in a BJJ match the wrestler loses. A solid BJJ guy vs a collegiate wrestler in a wrestling match the BJJ guy loses. Different sports, different rules, WAY different technical aspects. No disrespect to BJJ or Judo at all, its just the way it is. A wrestler would not know the ins and outs of BJJ and as such would get beaten in BJJ. A BJJ guy (or girl) would not know the ins and outs of BJJ and would get beaten in wrestling.

The point of all my posts has been to point out that a good BJJ/Judo person would get absolutely WRECKED by a collegiate wrestler- in wrestling. The sports are somewhat similar, but not identical, therefore being good at one doesnt make you good at the other. It may give you a head start against someone doing either one for the first time, but you would lose to a confident athlete in that sport.

Again, I mean no disrespect at all, but because sports are similar doesnt mean skills translate 100%. Look at it like this- (American) football is a contact sport, played on a field, with clearly defined positions: Lacrosse is a contact sport, played on a field, with clearly defined positions- the sports are similar, yet a great football doesnt always makes a great lacrosse player, and the opposite holds true as well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I didn't take any disrespect at all. It's almost impossible for someone over the internet to offend me.

The reason I don't really mention wrestling is because although I do train in it with trained wrestlers I don't train it in "wrestling specific" style. We train it more or less to make our top game more dominant. I have never trained in the specified rules of wrestling.

Perhaps my point was missed as well. I was not trying to insinuate that a good BJJ guy could go into a college wrestling try out and simply do great. I was merely saying that he could possibly have potential to be good once versed in the rules/regulations of the game being that they would most likely have good base, good movement on the ground, good grips, etc...Most BJJ schools I have been to do incorporate a fair bit from wrestling. I know that a lot of instructors of BJJ (including mine) were previously HS/college wrestlers as well as being well versed in Judo in a lot of cases. There are several BJJ instructors around me that are black belts in both BJJ and Judo...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I didn't take any disrespect at all. It's almost impossible for someone over the internet to offend me.

The reason I don't really mention wrestling is because although I do train in it with trained wrestlers I don't train it in "wrestling specific" style. We train it more or less to make our top game more dominant. I have never trained in the specified rules of wrestling.

Perhaps my point was missed as well. I was not trying to insinuate that a good BJJ guy could go into a college wrestling try out and simply do great. I was merely saying that he could possibly have potential to be good once versed in the rules/regulations of the game being that they would most likely have good base, good movement on the ground, good grips, etc...Most BJJ schools I have been to do incorporate a fair bit from wrestling. I know that a lot of instructors of BJJ (including mine) were previously HS/college wrestlers as well as being well versed in Judo in a lot of cases. There are several BJJ instructors around me that are black belts in both BJJ and Judo...
Ok man I got you.

So in answer to the OP, yes wrestling helps with MMA, but don't neglect the other arts- such as BJJ and Judo, for a well rounded ground game.

Reactions: LOJ

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ok man I got you.

So in answer to the OP, yes wrestling helps with MMA, but don't neglect the other arts- such as BJJ and Judo, for a well rounded ground game.
I concur, I think it’s best not to just train one, but all 3 (4 if you include *****, which I have done some of as well). If you can find a school with an instructor that has done a combination of things this is best because they normally take things from each to build a very solid ground game.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
yea im 15 and our school has a wrestling team. i just wanted to know how much wrestling helped in mma? thanks
Honestly, at fifteen I tell kids to do what they want. The best place to start in MMA at that age is to work on discipline, conditioning, strength and some basic technical skills. If you're working in an MMA program, you can get that. If you're working in wrestling or BJJ or boxing, you can get that, too.

So, go for it.

The things that you'll get from wrestling will be radically different from the things you'd get training BJJ or boxing or muay thai. You have to understand that.

These other two guys are arguing over whether or not you should be training in BJJ or wrestling and whether or not one will help you get into the other. Ignore that, trust me.

They're radically different systems and while there is transitional value, the most important part of early training is getting into the act of learning the fundamentals of a combat sport and developing the necessary conditioning, flexibility and mobility.

So, if you think that wrestling is where you want to start, if you want to really develop that part of your game, that's a great place to start. A lot of good fighters have come from that background, and the reason they were good is not strictly based on the skills. It's also because guys who start wrestling at 6 (or even at a later age, like you are) are learning that discipline and get used to learning grappling techniques. They also get into great shape, which helps with striking, especially when looking to throw bombs.

Reactions: xeberus

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
Wrestling is as important as vag is for sex, when it comes to mma.

If you can get into it, then do it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.