Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I don't think there's ONE perfect answer, but based on the historical & current trends of successful & dominant fighters, wrestling is a good base. I'd recommend kick boxing or Muay Thai over boxing, unless you have a special knack for boxing and lack the coordination to master kicks.

Bottom line, your personal abilities will have a greater indication of fight efficiency, then what styles you practice. Prior to Lyoto Machida, I would have bet money that a Karate/Sumo combination would never make it in MMA.

Recently, strong American wrestling has been able to nullify good BJJ, but the pendulum swings back & forth, so nothing is definitive.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Hard to say, but wrestlers are very dominant right now so I'd say that's a very good base to start with. After that I'd say Muay Thai because of the clinch game and the utilization of close strikes, along with every thing else. Although most guys train a number of different styles. Judo is a great base, but *****, kempo etc are good styles too. Depends how good you are I guess.

·
Banned
0 Posts
and here I thought you'd recommend Karate & Sumo while versed in BJJ
Machida Karate is all you need guys ;)

Believe me I wanted to say Sumo and Karate.....but this isn't me as much as the best advice so I went with Wrestling and Muay Thai....If it were my kid at the right age I would 1st put him in Karate, the reason not Sumo is because the Karate takes more mental discipline and I would want that as the basis for everything else. Or......maybe I will adopt one of Lyoto's Kids....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Believe me I wanted to say Sumo and Karate.....but this isn't me as much as the best advice so I went with Wrestling and Muay Thai....If it were my kid at the right age I would 1st put him in Karate, the reason not Sumo is because the Karate takes more mental discipline and I would want that as the basis for everything else. Or......maybe I will adopt one of Lyoto's Kids....:thumbsup:
Sumo is a surprisingly effective form of TD/TDD. I don't know how many people caught it, but Lyoto performed a nice clinic in the use of Sumo's leverage exploiting TD's against Shogun. Real smooth, almost effortless looking TD's.

This is kind of an interesting video. The greatest Sumo of recent time was one of Japan's smallest Sumo's, but he was a master at finding leverage opportunities and exploiting them, (such as Lyoto did on both occasions of his TD's; Lyoto used this exact TD technique at 0:52 of this video).

·
Banned
0 Posts
Sumo is a surprisingly effective form of TD/TDD. I don't know how many people caught it, but Lyoto performed a nice clinic in the use of Sumo's leverage exploiting TD's against Shogun. Real smooth, almost effortless looking TD's.

This is kind of an interesting video. The greatest Sumo of recent time was one of Japan's smallest Sumo's, but he was a master at finding leverage opportunities and exploiting them, (such as Lyoto did on both occasions of his TD's; Lyoto used this exact TD technique at 0:52 of this video).

Good vid, thanks for posting, he used a similar tech against Tito, but it was a lot more effective...:thumbsup:

·
The Title Guy
18,411 Posts
Sumo

The only problem is that so far only two sumo wrestler have crossed over into MMA, Chad Rowam aka Akebono Taro and Henry Armstrong Miller aka Sentoryu Henri, neither of whom have had any particular success!

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I don't think Sumo "alone" is effective for MMA. I don't think having only one discipline in your arsenal regardless of whatever it is, is effective for MMA. I was just sort of pointing out that Sumo isn't just about chest bumping your opponent, as it's most widely perceived and that Sumo as a martial art utilizes great TD's.

Clearly, Machida doesn't go in the cage, sprinkle some salt and stomps his feet left & right to get into fighting position. Machida's karate is much more forefront then his Sumo, I was just saying he uses his Sumo techniques well and more often then most people realize. His Sumo drawn TD's are often over-looked by a lot of people who don't recognize it.

I'm not suggesting Sumo in of itself is an effective form for MMA and on that same note, I don't think a single discipline arsenal is good for MMA in any case :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
So you're saying his lessons in Sumo is how he took guys down like Tito Ortiz, Souki, and Najamura?
I'm actually not a huge Lyoto fan, so I haven't followed his career closely enough to answer that specific question. I was mostly addressing the TD's he displayed against Rua as being very Sumo in technique and Lyoto's TDD is uniquely Sumo, in that he doesn't rely on sprawls as much as he relies on redirecting the direction of the oncoming force to the left or right, which he did against Tito on a few occasions.

In Sumo, the goal is not to get pushed out the circular ring and one of the most effective strategies & techniques when you're back foot is near the ring's borders and the opponent is coming at you for a final push, is to redirect his force and reverse your positions, so that the opponent is swung around by his own redirected forward motion, where the opponents back is now to the rings border, then push the re-positioned opponent out the ring. Lyoto is good at this technique and used really well against Tito.

I can't speak on his performances against those other fighters because I've never seen those fights, in all transparency.

(Redirection of energy is also the premise behind Chinese Tai Chi and Akido.)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.