Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey , I'm thinking of a last minute flutter on this event. However I just can't decide on a couple of fights (excluding undercard)! My picks so far are:

Jon Jones v Vladimir Matyushenko
Mark Munoz v Yushin Okami
Jacob Volkmann v Paul Kelly
DeMarques Johnson v Matthew Riddle
Jake Ellenberger v John Howard
Tyson Griffin v Takanori Gomi

What are your picks? Just wanna see if I'm missing something LOL. Also any tips for undercard?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with all your picks, except I will take Gomi over Griffin
That was one of he fights I was most unsure about. When I first seen this on paper it looked like Griffin all the way but he looked like a small child next to Gomi at weigh ins. Also Gomi has alot more experience.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I've got..

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I'm also going with Jones and Riddle, all though I have a feeling it's going to be a bad night for Japanese MMA. I'll be cheering for Gomi, but I think Tyson is going to be griding out a boring "wrestling" based UD. I'll be cheering against Okami (one of the few people around here who just never really liked the guy), and I think he'll succomb to the GnP by the end of round two.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I got Kelly, Riddle, Howard and Okami clearly. After that it becomes more difficult for me I am gonna go with Griffen due to the fact he is extremely tough and has the obvious wrestling advantage.

Jones/Vlad is pretty even IMO but for the sake of arguement I am gonna go with Vlad especially considering he spent alot of time in Brazil working with Wanderlei (when he was preparing for Akiyama) and Werdum (when he was preparing for Fedor), and really working with Wandy and Werdum can only help you.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Jon Jones - Though I see Vlad giving him a tough fight for the first 2 rounds, ultimately I see Jones throwing Vlad to the canvas and dropping bombs for a KO win. Still, with the odds Vlad got, I bet on him. I wouldn't be surprised if Vlad got the upset here.

Mark Munoz - I think he'll take Yushin down often, and punish him. Maybe late 3rd TKO or a Decision.

Paul Kelly - I see Volkmann doing the same as Munoz really, but much less punishment and harder take downs. I think Kelly will stuff a few and out point him on the feet and earn a close decision.

Matthew Riddle - DaMarques couldn't make weight, I think he'll gas early and Riddle will finish him in the late 2nd/mid way 3rd.

John Howard - Not amazingly familiar with either fighter, I've seen a few of their fights but don't know too much about them. But I think John will get his 3rd KO in a row.

Tyson Griffin - I dunno what happened to him in the Dunham fight (not to say Dunham isn't a great fighter). He's far far faster than Gomi and I see him pushing the pace and mixing it up alot. Yet another decision predicted here.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
On a side note is it a lock that winner of Munoz/Okami is getting a shot after Belfort? Or is that just a rumour?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Jon Jonesv Vladimir Matyushenko

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm gonna have to go with:

Jones vs. Matyushenko
Okami vs. Munoz
Ellenberger vs. Howard
Griffin vs. Gomi

I think the Okami/Munoz fight is the hardest one to call on the main card, I could see Munoz getting a TD and ending it with his famed GnP, but I think we're more likely to see Okami stay back and punish Munoz.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with all OP's picks. I'll just include how they will win below

Jon Jones v Vladimir Matyushenko 1st round TKO
Mark Munoz v Yushin Okami Split Decision
Jacob Volkmann v Paul Kelly 3rd round Sub
DeMarques Johnson v Matthew Riddle Unanimous Decision
Jake Ellenberger v John Howard Unanimous Decision
Tyson Griffin v Takanori Gomi 2nd round TKO

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
On a side note is it a lock that winner of Munoz/Okami is getting a shot after Belfort? Or is that just a rumour?
Nah thats not true!

But if Okami wins, he could get a top 5 and a shot after that. Don't think they will do the same if Munoz wins.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Jon Jones v Vladimir Matyushenko Unanimous Decision
Mark Munoz v Yushin Okami Split Decision
Jacob Volkmann v Paul Kelly Unanimous Decision
DeMarques Johnson v Matthew Riddle Unanimous decision
Jake Ellenberger v John Howard 2nd round TKO
Tyson Griffin v Takanori Gomi 2nd round TKO

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Mark Munoz v Yushin Okami - not even close imo
Jacob Volkmann v Paul Kelly - volkmann wrestling will be too much for kelly

·
Registered
769 Posts
Jon Jones v Vladimir Matyushenko i hope at least
Mark Munoz v Yushin Okami this will be close :D

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I'm going Jones, Munoz, Volkmann, Johnson, Ellenberger, Gomi, Irvin, Stann, Oliveira and Kimmons.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Besides the actual main event I'd say the fight I'm most interested in is Irvin. Realized he's back at LHW. Man I've been pulling for this guy for awhile although Pokrajac looks ready to bang.

Stann looks shredded at 185. If he retains his cardio he should be able to overwhelm Massenzio.

The rest can't make the judgement as I havn't seen enough of their fights. It would just be a coin toss.

Main Event
Vladimir Matyushenko (206) VS Jon Jones (206)

Main Card
Yushin Okami (185) VS Mark Munoz (185)
Jake Ellenberger (170.5) VS John Howard (170.5)
Takanori Gomi (156) VS Tyson Griffin (154)

Prelims
Jacob Volkmann (156) VS Paul Kelly (155)
Matt Riddle (171) VS DaMarques Johnson (172*)
Igor Pokrajac (204.5) VS James Irvin (205)
Mike Massenzio (184) VS Brian Stann (186)
Charles Oliveira (154) VS Darren Elkins (154.5)
Steve Steinbeiss (185) VS Rob Kimmons (185)

·
Premium Member
721 Posts

1 - 20 of 25 Posts