1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
No, no no no no. Dana, please dont do it.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
**** the ufc if they do this..i hate any live event outside North America. Its hard to watch prerecorded shit when the results are everywhere.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
PPV starting at 3am ending at 6 am (UFC 117). BAD IDEA DANA!!!!

I´d buy it for 10§ thought! :thumb02:

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
This would be an awful move imo. I would wager quite a few people pay for ESPN over here just for the fact UFC is on it. If they stopped that TV deal they would lose the money from ESPN and less than 10% of the people who watch the UFC events in the UK now will be willing to pay 40 quid to watch it at 3AM in the morning.
If Dana is worried about money he should renogotiate with ESPN.

If the UFC instead choose to move to PPV then they are driving people to illegal streaming of the event, cos NO-ONE will spend 40 quid every couple of weeks on UFC events that are airing at 3 in the morning.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This would be an awful move imo. I would wager quite a few people pay for ESPN over here just for the fact UFC is on it. If they stopped that TV deal they would lose the money from ESPN and less than 10% of the people who watch the UFC events in the UK now will be willing to pay 40 quid to watch it at 3AM in the morning.
If Dana is worried about money he should renogotiate with ESPN.

If the UFC instead choose to move to PPV then they are driving people to illegal streaming of the event, cos NO-ONE will spend 40 quid every couple of weeks on UFC events that are airing at 3 in the morning.

Buyrate's for F1 were about 25,000 for the WWE it's about 35-60,000. The UFC would probably be looking at 20-25,000 buys an event if they are extremly lucky.

·
Registered
90 Posts
this will suck big hairy balls, i have to watch all ufc events live but i cant afford like £40 a ppv and none of my friends watch mma so it's not like they can chip in :(

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Sucks big time, to be honest I would cancel my subscription to ESPN since the UFC is the only reason I subscribe to it, then just download the events after its been played live, which to be fair I do sometimes anyway when I want to re-watch some of them, but I do like to stay up and watch them live when they are on.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Blah. Blah. Blah.

Like everybody has said before me, Dana will never get any decent PPV numbers over here at those hours. Its nowhere near popular enough.

To be honest, I'm mighty surprised Sky don't have it yet. It kind of implies Sky still believe MMA is a bit of a fad without long term potential. Lets see what happens when the ESPN contract runs out.

Basically, Dana wont say it out loud, but he really needs Sky. His reluctance to even mention them gives it away! If they believed in MMA and got behind the UFC, they could make the sport grow 1000% faster in the UK then the UFC ever possibly could.

Having said that, Murdoch is a twat, so f*uck him and his blood sucking company.

EDIT.
Worth adding that I've been threatened by email for downloading an event after its aired via Torrent. If the UFC leaves ESPN, I'm not sure what I'll do. Lets hope mma-core stays alive, innit?

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Blah. Blah. Blah.

Like everybody has said before me, Dana will never get any decent PPV numbers over here at those hours. Its nowhere near popular enough.

To be honest, I'm mighty surprised Sky don't have it yet. It kind of implies Sky still believe MMA is a bit of a fad without long term potential. Lets see what happens when the ESPN contract runs out.

Basically, Dana wont say it out loud, but he really needs Sky. His reluctance to even mention them gives it away! If they believed in MMA and got behind the UFC, they could make the sport grow 1000% faster in the UK then the UFC ever possibly could.

Having said that, Murdoch is a twat, so f*uck him and his blood sucking company.

EDIT.
Worth adding that I've been threatened by email for downloading an event after its aired via Torrent. If the UFC leaves ESPN, I'm not sure what I'll do. Lets hope mma-core stays alive, innit?
Lol mma-core has worked its way steadily up my most visited list!
Good point about sky, i mean it can make or break sports in this country, just look at motorcross or speedway whatever it is called, the amount of money pumped in to it by sky is ridiculous.

The thing is sky like to have control. If they got the UFC they'd want their own commentators and first access to the fighters for post fight interviews things like that, which are realistically never gonna happen. Nice thought though.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Lol mma-core has worked its way steadily up my most visited list!
Good point about sky, i mean it can make or break sports in this country, just look at motorcross or speedway whatever it is called, the amount of money pumped in to it by sky is ridiculous.

The thing is sky like to have control. If they got the UFC they'd want their own commentators and first access to the fighters for post fight interviews things like that, which are realistically never gonna happen. Nice thought though.
That's my point. That's why Dana hasn't mentioned them. He said its driving him crazy they are not on PPV in the UK, which means Sky must be doing his head in with their typically ridiculous requests.

He cant do it on his own. He might think he can, but without Sky, he cant. To be on PPV you need popularity. Unfortunately, the populous of the UK are wired into Sky when it comes to sports. Ether Dana makes the UFC so popular worldwide that Sky have to give in, or you let Sky do it and grow a lot faster. Lose-Lose for UK MMA fans.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
If sky got the UFC they'd probably slap it on PPV anyways. Are WWE events still on PPV? Maybe we'd get fight nights for free and full events not?

·
Registered
430 Posts
HA! Pacman and Mayweathers last fights weren't even on PPV here & the WWE force Sky to make some of their shows PPV, Sky have lost a fair amount of money on that change. If the UFC go PPV here it will be a huge set-back.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.